Sunday, August 16, 2015

Beatles '65

After the initial frenetic rush of Beatlemania subsided by the fall of 1964 and before the "new era" Beatles were launched with the release of Rubber Soul in December of 1965, the boys concentrated on putting out some classic pop songs.  It was a period when Lennon and McCartney seemed like they could churn this stuff out easily song after song.

In December 1964 the band released Beatles For Sale (but only in the UK) while in the same month Capitol Records released Beatles '65 for the American audience which included only 8 of the 14 songs from the UK release while adding a song from A Hard Day's Night as well as the recent single I Feel Fine/She's A Woman.

In February 1965 the Beatles released Eight Days A Week in the U.S only backed by I Don't Want To Spoil The Party which appeared on Beatles For Sale.

In April came the worldwide release of Ticket To Ride from the upcoming movie Help! with Yes It Is as the B-side.

You can read more about Beatles singles in this post.

In June 1965 Capitol released Beatles VI containing the other six tracks from Beatles For Sale, two songs from the soon to be released movie Help!, two covers (Dizzy Miss Lizzy and Bad Boy) recorded specifically for the American market along with Yes It Is.

Finally in August of that year the soundtrack from Help! was released.

It was during this period that gems like No Reply, I'll Follow The Sun, Every Little Thing, What You're Doing, Help!, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away and You're Going to Lose That Girl were released.

Here are two particular favorites, the B-sides to the two singles.  Below are both followed by a video showing how the gorgeous harmonies were done featuring Galeazzo Frudua, half of Two Guys in a Bar in Bologna featured previously on THC.  Galeazzo gives some interesting background on both tunes.

I Don't Want To Spoil The Party

I don't want to spoil the party so I'll go
I would hate my disappointment to show
There's nothing for me here so I will disappear
If she turns up while I'm gone please let me know

I've had a drink or two and I don't care
There's no fun in what I do if she's not there
I wonder what went wrong I've waited far too long
I think I'll take a walk and look for her


Yes It Is 

Please don't wear red tonight
This is what I said tonight
For red is the color that will make me blue
In spite of you, it's true
Yes it is, it's true
Yes it is

No comments:

Post a Comment