Friday, June 8, 2012

Game 7

Celtics - Heat.  Saturday night.  Hoping Rondo, Pierce, Garnett and Allen can beat the Heat and that LeBron can't replicate his amazing performance of last night.



Here's Bill Simmons on last night's game - The Consequences of Caring. The first part of the article details his young daughter's obsession with the Los Angeles Kings and what it means when your favorite team has its season on the line.  Then he tackles his own Celtics obsession.

Here's a little appetizer from the article:

You can't imagine what this was like to witness in person. I know Michael Jordan had similarly astonishing games, and others, too, but not with stakes like that. This wasn't just an elimination game. This was LeBron James's entire career being put on trial … and it only took an hour for him to tell the jury, "Go home. I'm one of the best players ever. Stop picking me apart. Stop talking about the things I can't do. Stop holding me to standards that have never been applied to any other NBA player. Stop blaming me for an admittedly dumb decision I never should have made. Stop saying I'm weak. Stop saying that I don't want to win. Stop. Just … stop."

As a Celtics fan, I was devastated. As a basketball fan, I appreciated the performance for what it was. One of the greatest players ever was playing one of his greatest games ever. He swallowed up every other relevant story line. Needless to say, the Celtics couldn't match him — especially Pierce, who's worn down from four weeks of battling Andre Iguodala, Shane Battier and LeBron on one leg and appears to be running on fumes of his fumes' fumes at this point. The fans were so shell-shocked that many (including me and my father) filed out with three minutes remaining, not because we were lousy fans, not to beat the traffic, but because we didn't want to be there anymore. We wanted to get away from LeBron. He ruined what should have been a magical night. We never really had a chance to cheer, swing the game, rally our guys, anything. He pointed a remote control at us and pressed "MUTE." It was like being in a car accident. LeBron James ran over 18,000 people.

For those of you interested in reading more speculation on Lebron's psyche, Joe Posnanski joins thousands of others in trying to figure it out.

And as an extra added bonus here is an extract from The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons, which I've previously recommended, on the 25th anniversary of Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals and the greatest shot taken by Larry Bird that he missed.  Don't miss the footnotes.

1 comment:

  1. How you pass up a golden opportunity to win it all at home is, well, I don't have the words... okay, LeBron! Tonight, the Celtics must hit on all five cylinders (both ends) w/bench bail out as needed, plus COACHING! I'll be directing traffic from my recliner! dm

    ReplyDelete