Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Wichita Lineman

 I am a lineman for the county
And I drive the main roads
Searching in the sun for another overload
I hear you singing in the wires
I can hear you through the whine
And the Wichita lineman
Is still on the line

I know I need a small vacation
But it don’t look like rain
And if it snows that stretch down south won’t ever stand the strain
And I need you more than want you
And I want you for all time
And the Wichita lineman
Is still on the line
I first wrote about Wichita Lineman in my Songs I Didn't Like to Admit I Liked series.  It's a magnificent composition lyrically and melodically while Glen Campbell's vocal and the accompanying arrangement fit it so well.  This is Glen's original.

Recently, I came across composer Jim Webb's solo version of it which is as good as Campbell's.

And here is a different, and very good, recent cover by Black Pumas, a group I wrote about last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment