Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Goodbye Willie


He was the first athlete I knew by name because my dad spoke so frequently about him.  His major league debut was when I was three months old, so he's been around my entire life. Willie Mays is gone at 93.

My dad's favorite ballplayer and mine.  Willie was part of our shared lives and conversations over the years.  Dad passed ten years ago, also at the age of 93, and since then, every time I see, read, or think about Willie, I think about my father.  I knew Willie was declining but this is hard news nonetheless.

PHOENIX - MARCH, 1962: Outfielder Willie Mays #24, of the San Francisco Giants, poses for a portrait prior to a Spring Training game in March, 1962 in Phoenix, Arizona. (Photo by: Kidwiler Collection/Diamond Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment