Sunday, June 10, 2012

Derek Jeter's Diary

Not really, but it is hilarious.  From Grantland.

Here's Derek on why stats are overrated (all my SABR readers please take note!):

"That being said, I believe that clutch exists. The stats guys are always trying to tell you there's no such thing as clutch, that there's no special skill to it, it's all probabilities and math. Look: I also know that math exists. I've taken math classes, I've seen numbers be added and subtracted in front of my very eyes. Those symbols on the back of baseball cards mean something real. But you can't tell me that there's not some magic ability some players have that makes them rise to the occasion when it counts most. I've seen Alex Rodriguez fail in huge situations too many times not to believe what I have is special. You look him in the eye after he strikes out to end a game and then tell me I'm wrong. You can't. Mostly because his eyes start to quiver with tears a tiny little bit in the corners and it's the most heartbreaking thing you've ever seen. It's like Bambi suddenly realizing he's being eaten by a tiger. Alex probably has a painting of that. He's huge into memorializing his own suffering with art. Guys with $300 million tend to spend it on that stuff."

1 comment: