Monday, August 6, 2018

Solsbury Hill

Peter Gabriel's first single (1977) after leaving Genesis.  Solsbury Hill is a 625 foot high summit near Bath, in England's West Country.  It's one of the possible sites of the Battle of Badon, which likely took place in 490 AD, a victory for the British against the Anglo Saxon invaders, stalling their westward advance for almost a century, a battle also associated with the legend of King Arthur.

What will you do when your eagle flies out of the night?
Climbing up on Solsbury Hill
I could see the city light
Wind was blowing, time stood still
Eagle flew out of the night
He was something to observe
Came in close, I heard a voice
Standing, stretching every nerve
Had to listen, had no choice
I did not believe the information
Just had to trust imagination
My heart going boom, boom, boom
"Son", he said, "grab your things, I've come to take you home"

No comments:

Post a Comment