Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Drowned

When we revisit earlier aspects of our life as we get older they often resonate in different ways.  I read JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy when a teenager and then reread it more than thirty years later.  I enjoyed the books just as much but it was the quieter moments that made the biggest impact when older.

I first read Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes at about 14 and was fixated on the sinister atmosphere and events surrounding Cooger & Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show.  Upon rereading it in my early 60s I realized it was about a son's relationship with his father.

This is Pete Townshend performing Drowned in 2011, a song he wrote for The Who album Quadrophrenia.  Listening to the words I wonder if he thinks any differently, as a 66-year old, about the song he wrote when twenty seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment