Monday, March 11, 2019

I Got The Right To Sing The Blues

Last month via the blog of Ann Althouse I learned about Ethel Ennis who recently died (Ann linked to her obituary in the New York Times), a singer I'd never heard of.  It turns out in the late 1950s and early 1960s she was considered one of the finest young jazz singers in America, even drawing comparisons to Ella Fitzgerald.  Ms Ennis effectively retired in the early 60s, unwilling to put up with the demand, including sexual ones, required if she were to succeed at a higher level.

Listening to a few of her recordings she really does remind me of Ella, with her seeming effortless voice at different registers and her precise and light tone.  Here she is singing I Got A Right To Sing The Blues with the Benny Goodman Orchestra in 1958.  The song, composed in 1932, with lyrics by Ted Koehler and music by Harold Arlen (who also did the music for Over The Rainbow).


1 comment: