Tuesday, July 16, 2019

I Was Wrong

I've become so detached from the music scene over the past decade that on first hearing Chris Stapleton last week, I assumed he was some brand new young artist.  Come to find out he's 41, started writing songs in 2001, and emerged as a solo artist in 2015 when his first album reached #1 on Billboard and was recognized by the Country Music Association (CMA) as Album of the Year, a feat he repeated with his second record in 2017.  I guess you can officially consider this a followup on my Am I A Cliche? post.

Country has gone in a way too pop direction in recent years.  Stapleton is a corrective.  The guy has an incredible voice and can write and sing in all sorts of different styles.  A sampling;

I Was Wrong features a soulful vocal with jazz touches, Nobody To Blame is traditional country, while Midnight Train to Memphis is a rocker.  On the last one, the gal singing backup is his wife, Morgane, a songwriter in her own right.  They've got four kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment