Monday, January 6, 2020

I'll Be There

A while back I did a post on a song by the band I Nine.  The group broke up ten years ago, so I was surprised to find Rick Beato (whose music channel I've written of before) goes way back with the band to its early days.  In 2018, Rick did a segment with Carmen Keigans, the group's vocalist (the guitarist also participates) and it is wonderful.  In it he plays the demo for I'll Be There.  It was the album version of this song that made me a fan but the demo is actually better.  It's also a showcase for Carmen's incredible voice.  Give it a listen.

And stay for the rest of the interview (she does some a capella singing).  Along with her phenomenal voice Carmen radiates charm and charisma.  While she does a little composing and singing, she's now a full time pediatric nurse and has two young children of her own.    (ALERT:  Unfortunately the embedded video has been disabled - click here and it will take you to a playable version; start at 3:40)

  In this article Carmen speaks of her decision to leave the band and pursue a nursing career:
I have people tell me that I am wasting my talent and that I should start performing again," Keigans said. "I re-read my journal recently and saw how many times I wrote, ‘I know God does not intend for me to spend my days in the back of a van.' I spent most of my days in the van while we were touring."

The band's record contract was up in October 2008, and she moved everything she owned back to Orangeburg to be closer to her father. She told the band she needed some time to figure things out, and what she figured out was that nursing school was the best choice for her.

She still feels like she gets to perform - although perhaps on a smaller scale - when she works with pediatric patients.
"It is so amazing to work with children," Keigans said. "We will do what we can to cheer them up and put smiles on their faces. Sometimes that means performing or singing a song together."

No comments:

Post a Comment