Sunday, October 17, 2021

Make Me Smile

Children play in the park, they don't know
I'm alone in the dark, even though
Time and time again I see your face smiling inside
I'm so happy
That you love me
Life is lovely
When you're near me
Tell me you will stay
Make me smile
 
Living life is just a game so they say
All the games we used to play fade away
We may now enjoy the dreams we shared so long ago
Oh my darling
Got to have you
Feel the magic
When I hold you
My favorite song by Chicago.  From their second album, released in 1970.  Composed by James Pankow, the band's trombonist.  There is so much that is so good about this song, from the lyric and melody, the unusual instrumental openings and closings, to the horn and guitar instrumentals in the middle, but most outstanding are the drumming of Danny Seraphine and guitarist Terry Kath's soulful vocal.  
 
In its early incarnation, Chicago was a real rocking band and I saw them play an exciting show in the summer of 1970.  With Kath's tragic death in January 1978, the band lost its edge and though it had a string of big ballad hits in the 1980s it had lost its appeal for me.   I was reminded of the song by Rick Beato's recent breakdown on his What Makes This Song Great series.

No comments:

Post a Comment