Friday, April 28, 2023

Youngblood Hart

The only song listed in Bob Dylan's The Philosophy of Modern Song that I've been unable to find on YouTube or iTunes is Alvin Youngblood Hart's version of Stephen Foster's Nelly Was A Lady.  I'd never heard of Youngblood Hart before and though I couldn't find Nelly I started to listen to some of his other recordings.  Turns out he's a terrific guitarist and vocalist.  This is his version of In My Time Of Dying, recorded in 2005, composed by Blind Willie Johnson who recorded it in 1928.

I've featured a couple of other Blind Willie songs previously, Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground, and Trouble Will Soon Be Over.  In My Time of Dying has been covered by many artists, most notably Led Zeppelin.  I prefer the Youngblood Hart version.

No comments:

Post a Comment