Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Nobody's Fool

 From the twitter account Of which randomly posts interesting pictures.

Image

This reminds me of winter scenes in so many New England mill towns.  I can feel the bitter chill and damp and you just know the day had been gray.  Though I'd seen some growing up it was only when I moved to Worcester, Massachusetts for my last semesters of college and then took my first professional job there that I saw a lot of towns that looked like this.

The photo immediately reminded me of Nobody's Fool, a fine movie from the 1990s with one of Paul Newman's best performances.  Set during winter in a declining upstate New York town it features a sparkling cast - Bruce Willis, Jessica Tandy, Melanie Griffith, and a host of other familiar faces.  Hadn't seen it since then, but need to get this on my rewatch list.  From an excellent novel by Richard Russo.  You can listen to my friend Titus Techera's insightful podcast on the film here.

No comments:

Post a Comment