Wednesday, June 14, 2023

One I Forgot

From yesterday's post on recent fiction I've been reading, here is one more that I thought I'd written about previously but was mistaken.

Act Of Oblivion by Robert Harris

I'm an admirer of Robert Harris' historical fiction, having read Fatherland, An Officer & A Spy, and the Cicero Trilogy (since I find Cicero a fascinating figure having written of him here, here, here, and here).  However, I'd been disappointed with his most recent novel, The Second Sleep, so was happy to see he'd regained form with Act of Oblivion.

The tale is set in the aftermath of the Restoration, when the British Republic of Cromwell has come to an end, and Charles II has restored the monarchy.  The hunt is on for the regicides, the most prominent republicans who participated in the death sentencing of Charles I.  Most, remaining in England or seeking shelter nearby on the Continent have been seized and executed but three have fled to the colonies in New England.  Act of Oblivion is about the hunt for the fugitives both in the New World and Old.  Well told and gripping.

I learned a lot, though already aware of the story because we lived near New Haven for many years, where two of the fugitives sought refuge and ended up living in the wilderness outside the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment