Thursday, August 24, 2023

It Makes No Difference

An achingly sad love song from The Band's sixth album - Northern Lights, Southern Crosses.  Rick Danko on lead vocal.  Music and lyrics by Robbie.  The Band was unusual in having three top flight vocalists, Levon Helm, Rick Danko, and Richard Manuel, with Danko and Manuel having stunning plaintive tones in their voices, which Danko employs to full effect here.

It makes no difference how far I goLike a scar, the hurt will always showAnd it makes no difference who I meet

They're just a face in the crowd on a dead-end street
And the sun don't shine anymoreAnd the rains fall down on my door
These old love lettersWell, I just can't keep'Cause, like the gambler says"Read 'em and weep"

When Rick sings the last verse, he sounds like he's breaking down. 

Well, I love you so muchAnd it's all I can doJust to keep myself from telling youThat I never felt so alone before
Then they close with the tender and beautiful horn by Garth and a back and forth with Robbie's guitar.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment