Monday, February 5, 2024

Fast Car

I very much liked Tracy Chapman's Fast Car when first released, but it quickly became overplayed and started turning it off whenever it came on my radio while commuting.  Hadn't listened to it in years.  Heard there was a popular cover recently that was the subject of yet another manufactured controversy.  

Tracy and the cover artist, Luke Combs, performed at last night's Grammy Awards and it reminded me of the beauty and pathos of the song.  I gather Chapman has rarely performed in recent years but she was in great form and the duet worked so well.  Until I saw his name, I didn't realize Combs had done the cover - I first heard him in a duet with Bill Strings (on guitar and harmonies) on a song called The Great Divide which is now on my playlist.



UPDATE: Sadly the Chapman/Combs duet has been taken down.  Here is Tracy Chapman's original

FURTHER UPDATE:  The Grammys have posted the duet.

No comments:

Post a Comment