Sunday, July 14, 2024

Diary Entry

 Left the hotel at the usual side entrance and headed for the car—suddenly there was a burst of gun fire from the left. S.S. Agent pushed me onto the floor of the car & jumped on top. I felt a blow in my upper back that was unbelievably painful. I was sure he’d broken my rib. The car took off. I sat up on the edge of the seat almost paralyzed by pain. Then I began coughing up blood which made both of us think—yes I had a broken rib & it had punctured a lung. He switched orders from W.H. to Geo. Wash. U. Hosp.

By the time we arrived I was having great trouble getting enough air. We did not know that Tim McCarthy (S.S.) had been shot in the chest, Jim Brady in the head & a policemen Tom Delahanty in the neck.

I walked into the emergency room and was hoisted onto a cart where I was stripped of my clothes. It was then we learned I’d been shot & had a bullet in my lung.

Getting shot hurts. Still my fear was growing because no matter how hard I tried to breathe it seemed I was getting less & less air. I focused on that tiled ceiling and prayed. But I realized I couldn’t ask for Gods help while at the same time I felt hatred for the mixed up young man who had shot me. Isn’t that the meaning of the lost sheep? We are all Gods children & therefore equally beloved by him. I began to pray for his soul and that he would find his way back to the fold.

I opened my eyes once to find Nancy there. I pray I’ll never face a day when she isn’t there. Of all the ways God has blessed me giving her to me is the greatest and beyond anything I can ever hope to deserve.

- Excerpt from diary of President Ronald Reagan.  This is his entry for March 31, 1981, written on April 11, 1981, after his release from the hospital and return to the White House.

It was only years after Reagan left the presidency that we became aware he kept a daily diary throughout his two terms, in which he made entries almost every evening.  In addition, after retiring upstairs, he carried on voluminous correspondence and read extensively.  His Secretary of State, George Schultz, was surprised by the revelations, joking that he thought after the president ended his working day that he and Nancy were watching old movies.

Along with letters to the well-known, President Reagan also became a pen pal to a six year old boy in Washington DC, which you can read about here.

No comments:

Post a Comment