Tuesday, October 8, 2024

El Tiante

Image

(Enjoying a victory cigar in the whirlpool after the game)

Back in the 70s, I used to imitate his pitching motion.  After bringing the ball down from your chest to your waist in herky jerky fashion, you twisted your body around, back to the batter, looked up at the sky, and then turned back around and threw a strike.  At least Luis did.  I never could.

Luis Tiant passed today at 83.  Written about him a few times; here's one - pitching against Mark Fidrych.

A joy to watch.  Near the end of his time with the Red Sox, I went to Fenway solo and got a ticket a few rows behind home, enabling me to closely observe Tiant.  By that time, he'd lost the blazing fastball, but I was surprised at how slow his fastball had become.  He was still able to fool the batters using different pitching motions and changing speeds.  I was watching a masterclass in the art of pitching.

One of the most beloved players in the history of the franchise.  He should be in the Hall of Fame.


No comments:

Post a Comment