Saturday, January 12, 2013

Death Star Petition Update

A few days ago I reported on the 25,000 signature petition submitted to the White House asking that the U.S Government design and build a Star Wars type "Death Star".  The White House has just responded, declining to proceed with the project.  After review of the Administration's statement (parts excerpted below) I find myself in reluctant agreement based primarily upon my significant underestimation of construction costs.  My estimate was $7 quadrillion while the Administration says the cost would be $850 quadrillion, more than 100 times higher.  Even with my proposal to use the plunder from conquered planets to pay off the cost I now think this would be an unacceptably low ROI.

Official US Government Response

This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For

By Paul Shawcross

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

  • The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
  • The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
  • Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?

No comments:

Post a Comment