Saturday, July 2, 2022

Roman Wall Blues

 

(Hadrian's Wall)

By WH Auden (1907-73)

Over the heather the wet wind blows,
I've lice in my tunic and a cold in my nose.

The rain comes pattering out of the sky,
I'm a Wall soldier, I don't know why.

The mist creeps over the hard grey stone,
My girl's in Tungria; I sleep alone.

Aulus goes hanging around her place,
I don't like his manners, I don't like his face.

Piso's a Christian, he worships a fish;
There'd be no kissing if he had his wish.

She gave me a ring but I diced it away;
I want my girl and I want my pay.

When I'm a veteran with only one eye
I shall do nothing but look at the sky.

Tungria was located in what is now Belgium and was then part of the Roman Empire.  Tungrians were among the auxiliary troops garrisoning the forts along Hadrian's Wall. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment