Saturday, August 15, 2026

Streaks

In Game, I pondered the recent success of the Red Sox.  I need not have been concerned as they've now lost six of their last seven games.  Observing the Sox who won 32 of 37 but who've taken 85 games to win another 33, I naturally thought of the 1916 New York Giants and took a look at the details of their season of extremes. The '16 Giants started off losing 13 of 15, then embarked on a long road trip winning their next 17.  Following a long period of post-streak mediocrity, the Giants then won a major league record 26 in a row, all on a home stand, before losing 4 of their last five.  They went 43-0 during the two streaks and 43-66 the rest of the season.  The Giants finished in 4th place with an 86-66 record.

No comments:

Post a Comment