Monday, March 7, 2016

Gettin' Sardonic With Elvis Costello (Vol. 2)

For Vol. 1 and to understand what the heck this is about, go here.  These selections are from the five Elvis Costello albums released between 1982 and 1988.
Sheep to the slaughter
Oh, I thought this must be love
All your sons and daughters
In a stranglehold with a kid glove
She's got eyes like saucers
Oh, you think she's a dish
She is the blue chip
That belongs to the big fish
Big Sister's Clothes

The little corporal got in the way
And he got hit by an emotional ricochet
It's a bit more now than dressing up dolly
Playing house seems so melancholy

On your marks, man, ready, set
Let's get loaded and forget
Shot With His Own Gun

All the muscles flex and the fingers curl
And a cold sweat breaks out on the sweater girl
Oh, he's all hands, don't touch that dial
The courting cold war weekend witch trial
Strict Time

The teacher never told you anything but white lies
But you never see the lies and you believe
Oh, you know you have been captured
You feel so civilized
And you look so pretty in your new lace sleeves
New Lace Sleeves

Love on the never never dreams don't come cheap
I don't close my eyes when I go to sleep
White Knuckles

You need protection from the physical art of conversation
Though the fist is mightier than the lip it adds the aggravation

Are you so superior, are you in much pain
Are you made out of porcelain?
When they made you they broke the cast
Don't wanna be first, I just wanna last
You'll Never Be A Man

The long arm of the law
Slides up the outskirts of town
Clubland

Curious women running after curious men
Curiosity didn't kill the cat, it was a poisoned pen
But there's not much choice between a cruel mouth
And a jealous voice

Well, well, fancy that
Millions murdered for a kiss me quick

Pretty Words

Almost blue, it's almost touching
It will almost do
There is part of me that's always true, always
Not all good things come to an end
Now it is only a chosen few
Almost Blue

It's the last thing I want to do
Pull the curtains on me and you
Pull the carpet from under love
Pull out like young lovers do
You swore you wouldn't shout
If it's not your punch, then it's your pout

I crept out last night behind your back
The little they know might be the piece I lack
Came home drunk, talking in circles
The spirit is willing, but I don't believe in miracles

I feel like a boy with a problem
I can't believe you've forgotten
Sleeping with forgiveness in your heart for me
Boy With A Problem

We fight so frail
Making love tooth and nail
You give me the kiss of my life
I might even live to tell the tale
Kid About It

I would have waited all my life
Just to make love out of something other than spite
But the beauty is the beast you're baiting
Should be really worth the waiting
Little Savage

History repeats the old conceits
The glib replies, the same defeats
Keep your fingers on important issues
With crocodile tears and a pocket full of tissues

Charged with insults and flattery
Her body moves with malice
Do you have to be so cruel to be callous?
Beyond Belief 

She said that she was working for the ABC News
It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use
Her perfume was unspeakable
It lingered in the air
Like her artificial laughter
Her mementos of affairs

It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake
Brilliant Mistake

OK, a warning before this next one.  The lyrics are creepy; add the music and it becomes the scariest love song you'll ever hear.  Awhile ago, THC featured Fiona Apple doing a completely psycho version.  You can guess the title.

Oh my baby, baby, I love you more than I can tell
I don't think I can live without you and I know that I never will
Oh my baby, baby, I want you so it scares me to death
I can't say anymore than I love you, everything else is a waste of breath

I want you, you've had your fun, you don't get well no more
I want you, your fingernails go dragging down the wall
Be careful, darling, you might fall

I want you, I woke up and one of us was crying
I want you, you said, "Young man, I do believe you're dying"
I want you, if you need a second opinion as you seem to do these days
I want you, you can look in my eyes and you can count the ways

I want you, did you mean to tell me but seem to forget?
I want you, since when were you so generous and inarticulate?
I want you, it's the stupid details that my heart is breaking for
It's the way your shoulders shake and what they're shaking for

I want you, it's knowing that he knows you now after only guessing
It's the thought of him undressing you or you undressing
I want you, he tossed some tattered compliment your way
I want you and you were fool enough to love it when he said, "I want you"

I want you, the truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark
It scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark
I want you, go on and hurt me then we'll let it drop
I want you, I'm afraid I won't know where to stop

I want you, I'm not ashamed to say, "I cried for you"
I want you, I want to know the things you did that we do too
I want you, I want to hear he pleases you more than I do
I want you, I might as well be useless for all it means to you

I want you, did you call his name out as he held you down?
I want you, oh no, my darling, not with that clown, I want you
I want you, you've had your fun, you don't get well no more

I want you
I want you

I want you, every night when I go off to bed and when I wake up
I want you, I'm going to say it once again 'til I instill it
I am goin', goin' feel this way until you kill it

I want you
I want you
I want you

No comments:

Post a Comment