Friday, March 4, 2016

Substitute

The Who Singles

Today is the 50th anniversary of the UK release of Substitute, the 4th single from The Who.  Like its predecessors, I Can't Explain, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere and My Generation, Substitute was a hit in the UK, rising to #5 on the charts and a flop in the United States, which still wasn't ready for the aggressive, hard-hitting sound of The Who.

And it wasn't just the sound that was aggressive:
Substitute your lies for facts
I can see right through your plastic mac
I look all white, but my dad was black
My fine looking suit is really made out of sack

Substitute me for him
Substitute my coke for gin
Substitute you for my mum
At least I'll get my washing done
The song went on to become one of the staples of The Who's live act.

No comments:

Post a Comment