Sunday, February 12, 2023

You Were Right, And I Was Wrong

On the 214th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birthday, we present the President's gracious letter to General Ulysses Grant on the successful conclusion of his campaign against Vicksburg.  Grant's daring campaign after taking Port Gibson and Grand Gulf was unprecedented, a Union army deliberately cutting itself off from its supply base.  Despite the doubts expressed by Lincoln at the time, Grant succeeded.  The President's letter is one of many examples of his extraordinary character.  Eight months later, Lincoln named Grant to take command of all Union forces.

Executive Mansion,
Washington, July 13, 1863.
Major General Grant
        My dear General
        I do not remember that you and I ever met personally. I write this now as a grateful acknowledgment for the almost inestimable service you have done the country. I wish to say a word further. When you first reached the vicinity of Vicksburg, I thought you should do, what you finally did—march the troops across the neck, run the batteries with the transports, and thus go below; and I never had any faith, except a general hope that you knew better than I, that the Yazoo Pass expedition, and the like, could succeed. When you got below, and took Port-Gibson, Grand Gulf, and vicinity, I thought you should go down the river and join Gen. Banks; and when you turned Northward East of the Big Black, I feared it was a mistake. I now wish to make the personal acknowledgment that you were right, and I was wrong.
        Yours very truly
                  A. Lincoln


No comments:

Post a Comment