Friday, September 21, 2012

True Happiness?

Since we've been on an Elvis Costello related roll the past couple of days let's continue and ponder the philosophical issue raised by him in a song from 1978:

I said "I'm so happy I could die"
She said "Drop dead" then left with another guy

(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
This reminds me of another dilemma posed by Ray Davies of The Kinks in the song Lola.

I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola

So is Lola glad or a man or both?

This blog does not hesitate to take on the really important issues in our society!  Someone has to.

2 comments:

  1. First off, welcome to post-retirememnt issues. Regarding confusion, maybe provocative lyrics expand to seriously diverse demographic markets. dm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda with "DM" above. I had always thought of Lola as a play to an alternative lifestyle. Or maybe that's just me, being inclusive again.
    -G.

    ReplyDelete