Monday, December 12, 2016

Nobel Prize For Literature Acceptance Speech

Bob Dylan's acceptance speech was read by Azita Raji, US Ambassador to Sweden.  I liked this passage:
I was out on the road when I received this surprising news, and it took me more than a few minutes to properly process it. I began to think about William Shakespeare, the great literary figure. I would reckon he thought of himself as a dramatist. The thought that he was writing literature couldn’t have entered his head. His words were written for the stage. Meant to be spoken not read. When he was writing Hamlet, I’m sure he was thinking about a lot of different things: “Who’re the right actors for these roles?” “How should this be staged?” “Do I really want to set this in Denmark?” His creative vision and ambitions were no doubt at the forefront of his mind, but there were also more mundane matters to consider and deal with. “Is the financing in place?” “Are there enough good seats for my patrons?” “Where am I going to get a human skull?” I would bet that the farthest thing from Shakespeare’s mind was the question “Is this literature?
You can read the whole speech here.

And remember, even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked.               I just don't want to be around to see it.

1 comment: