Villa Cimbrone is one of our favorite places in the world. It's about a ten minute walk from the central plaza of the town. Perched on an outcrop about 1000 feet above the coast it features gardens, walking paths and a feature called "The Belvedere of Infinity" at the point of the outcrop. The Villa has existed in one form or another since the 13th century but it's current look is attributable to an initial restoration by Lord Grimthorpe who purchased it in 1904 and then to the work of the Vuilleumier family which has owned it since the 1950s. There is a hotel on the ground.
Entrance to the villa The grounds.
Let's look down from the Belvedere:
Villa Rufolo is located right off the central plaza of Ravello and its origins also go back to the 13th century. The restoration of the buildings and gardens began in the early 20th century. During the summer season, chamber music concerts are staged in the garden area below.